Apple and Custard
Salted caramel, vanilla ice cream, Bramley puree and hazelnut crumb
For the Cherry cream:
350g Boiron cherry puree
85g Egg yolks
85g Caster sugar
8g Gold gelatine (4 sheets)
85g Cold unsalted butter
For the Chocolate Sponge:
1 Egg yolk
75g Caster Sugar
2 Egg whites
20g Caster sugar
80g Plain flour
30g Cocoa powder
10g Corn flour
10g Melted butter
For the Kirsch Syrup:
50g Caster sugar
For the Balsamic Cherries:
200g Cherry halves
5 tbsp Balsmaic vinegar
3 tbsp Caster sugar
For the Chocolate Mousse:
96g Cream (whipping or double)
72g Cherry puree or juice
36g Trimoline (or caster sugar)
72g Egg yolks
150g Dark chocolate
4g Gold gelatine (2 sheets)
For the Dark Glaze:
170g Caster sugar
60g Cocoa powder
70g Concentrated cherry juice (replace with water if you don’t have cherry juice)
105g Cream (whipping or double)
11g Gold gelatine
For the Coral Tuille:
60ml Veg oil
0.5g Purple colouring
For the Chocolate Soil:
75g Plain flour
30g Cocoa powder
75g Caster sugar
50g Muscavado sugar
125g Ground almonds
100g Melted butter
For the Vanilla Ice cream:
800ml Whole milk
225g Double cream
3 vanilla pods, scraped
210g Caster sugar
70g Milk powder
70g Glucose powder
70g Ice cream stabilizer
5 Egg yolks
Extra ingredients for assembly:
200g cherry Jam, melted.
Method – Custard
- Boil the milk and vanilla together, whisk into the egg, sugar and custard powder until dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and add the butter and mix until melted.
- Chill the mix, and once set beat it until soft then put into a piping bag with a round nozzle.
Method – Apple Compote
- Cook the apples in the stock syrup until soft but maintain their shape.
- Bring the juice, agar agar, malic acid and sugar to the oil for at least 1 minute.
- Pour the mix into a tray and set in the fridge. Once set to a hard jelly, blend until smooth in a blender. Pass through a sieve to remove any lumps, then mix to a smooth blended gel with the cooked apples.
Method – Vanilla Ice Cream
- Boil the cream, milk and vanilla with the sugar and powders.
- Take off the heat, pour some of the hot milk over the egg yolks and then return to the pan to cook to 82c
Pass and chill the base, then churn in an ice cream churner once completely chilled. Store between -18c and -15c
Method – Bramley Puree
- Slice the apple thin, and mix with lemon juice. Heat the butter in a saucepan, add the sugar and apples and cook over a medium heat until the apples have slightly broken down.
- Blend in a liquidiser until smooth.
- Allow to cool, then chill.
Method – Hazelnut crumb
- Toast the hazelnuts in the oven at 170 degrees celsius for 10 minutes, then put within a tea towel and rub to remove the skins. Roughly chop the nuts once peeled.
- Place the ground hazelnuts, rice flour and sugars in a large bowl and add the cold butter. Rub the ingredients together with your fingertips until it forms a sandy texture.
- Add the chopped hazelnuts and mix to combine.
- Spread evenly on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, or until toasted and lightly golden brown.
- Leave to cool naturally, then place in an airtight container
Method – Salted Caramel
- Place 250ml of the cream, with the sugar, vanilla pod, salt and glucose together in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk consistently and cook caramel to 145 degrees celsius, checking with a thermometer. Remove caramel from heat and add the remaining cream and whisk well.
- Add the butter and whisk to combine, until it forms a smooth caramel.
- Strain and leave to cool at room temperature.
- Pipe the custard on the plate first, followed by little pieces of the apple.
- Sprinkle the dish with crumb, and dot the plate with caramel.
- Dust with MSK apple powder and a circle of the apple puree.
Like this... How about trying something else?
Have you enjoyed creating a delicious apple and custard dessert ready to try something else?
Check out some of the other tantalizing recipes available.
Recipe Apple and Custard Salted caramel, vanilla ice cream, Bramley puree and hazelnut crumbIngredients For the Cherry cream: 350g Boiron cherry puree 85g Egg yolks 85g Caster sugar 8g Gold gelatine (4 sheets) 85g Cold unsalted butter For the Chocolate Sponge: 2 Eggs...